Thursday, November 23, 2006

Trim a Tree

Tis the season. I have so far avoided them, but I know that a few radio stations have started playing Christmas music already. And a few nights ago, as I left the office, I saw my first Christmas light show.

Now, I must admit that I am not very religious, but the Christmas season is still my favorite time of year. I also love Christmas music (I probably have at least 2 dozen CDs -- with a range of holiday music from traditional to holy to soulful). But it's just way too soon for the holiday to start. I don't want to be sick of it by the time Christmas gets here.

Let's spend a little time being Thankful for Thanksgiving first.

However, this little holiday trinket puts a whole different perspective on tree trimmings. The adornment for the Christmas tree featured in today's Philadelphia Inquirer is described as a humorous addition to any tree. In the aptly captioned article, Gun ornament draws fire, the paper notes that Urban Outfitters is selling a plastic gun Christmas tree ornament this year for $6.

Bah-humbug, I say to that!

The Inquirer piece provides the flavor:

Nothing says Christmas quite like a glittery black handgun hanging from the tree.

* * * *
"Bust a cap in your tree with this superglittery ornament in the shape of a handgun, complete with a satin ribbon for hanging," the online description of the revolver says. It is meant, the retailer says, as an "ironic twist" on the holidays.
What godless cretin could possibly be responsible for something that is totally antithetical to the spirit of the season? None other than the owner of Urban Outfitters, conservative Republican, Santorum-friendly Richard Hayne. I don't know the man, but it wouldn't surprise me if he also fancies himself as a good Christian. Did he think that the Gifts of the Maji from the three Wise Men who followed the star to Bethlehem bearing gifts for the baby Jesus were gold, frankincense, and myrrh -- and guns?

Hayne is the former husband of Judy Wicks, owner of White Dog Cafe and a liberal activist. I recently wrote about her in Good Eats & Good Deeds. Unlike Wicks, however, "Hayne himself is an ardent Republican." As Philadelphia Weekly wrote about Hayne in a June 2003 article, Clothes Make the Man:

The irony of Richard Hayne--the undisputed king of under-30 retail cool--is that there's nothing remotely hip about him. Nothing at all. With his loosely knotted yellow silk power tie and boardroom-blue dress shirt, he looks like a typical $1,000-a-plate Republican fundraiser attendee. An eyeglass case bulges nerdily in his breast pocket, his teeth are slightly crooked and a few thin strands of hair arc over a small constellation of moles mapping the northward advance of his forehead.

He is even-toned, courteous and articulate. Although he rarely makes direct eye contact when talking, Hayne projects a Dick Cheney-esque aura of no-nonsense gray flannel gravitas.

Oh, it makes perfect sense. Cheney & Hayne: Guns and Dicks -- what is it with these guys?

It was a happy day when I was able to convince my daughter not to shop at Urban Outfitters. And I have never so much as stepped inside an Anthropologie store.

If you'd like to express your revulsion for this despicable display, you can write to:

Richard Hayne, President
Urban Outfitters
5000 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19112

(Thanks to Martha for the tip about the article)

No comments: