Friday, July 27, 2007

Guest Pass

Our week in the Poconos is almost over. It was a different vacation for all. Except for a day of rain, the weather has been lovely. We took a trek back to Philly for a day mid-week, so that I could attend a client-related event. Day trips to NYC and Scranton also were on the schedule for various family members.

The vacation crowd has 4 teens (including our daughter) and 2 young children. For them, spending a week in the middle of nowhere has been "boring." Seeing the above visitor in our yard was a highlight. Unfortunately, none of them are particularly outdoorsy. Even worse, nothing is within walking distance -- even the pool and lake, so a car ride is required for all activities.

In the evenings, the darkness up here is pure -- I call it the absence of light. One night, while going to one of the other cottages, flashlight in hand, our daughter was fascinated with the night sky -- since we don't get a view like that in Philly -- and she almost walked into a deer on the road. Needless to say, she raced back to our place.

The cottages that we are staying in did not have internet access, so I stopped by the AT&T store on our way out to sign up for LaptopConnect service. Of course, service in the mountains isn't the best, but I have been able to connect (some family members can't get cell service at all). I have a time limited account, so I haven't been on-line as much. That hasn't been a bad thing. I didn't do much work stuff this week, which is unusual for me and I was able to do some reading, which has been enjoyable.

No comments: