Saturday, January 14, 2006

No More Capano Capers

Dana Garrett of Delaware Watch, in a posting called Tom Capano Fatigue, bemoans the fact that the Delaware Supreme Court overturned the imposition of the death penalty for Tom Capano. Capano, as most Philadelphians and Delawareans know, was a former prosecutor who was convicted of murdering Anne Marie Fahey, after she tried to break off their relationship.

Garrett, like me, opposes the dealth penalty, and like me "groaned" when he heard the decision. For him, because he dreads the renewed media attention this reversal will no doubt cause. My "groan" and objection is of a more personal nature. This will only resurrect the extreme pain the death of Anne Marie has caused the Fahey family. My brother Paul and her brother Robert were friends. The Faheys were an extremely close family. I recall meeting her at various parties years ago, but can't say that I knew her. However, I know that this matter can only bring more grief and woe to the family (not that it can ever be completely forgotten).

UPDATE (2/24): For the latest update on the Capano case, see The Trials of Terrible Tom.

No comments: