Monday, December 11, 2006

Scream On

In Santorum preps for future as pundit, lecturer, the Harrisburg Patriot News speculates on the future of Rick Santorum after he suffered the "largest defeat by a Senate incumbent in a quarter-century," adding:

Santorum, who lost to Democrat Bob Casey Jr. in last month's election, has been weighing offers. They range from appearing on Fox News Channel as an analyst to working for a law firm, according to several people who have spoken with the Pennsylvania Republican.

Santorum, one of the most vocal lawmakers for the last decade, has been nearly invisible in the last month as he weighs his options.

Santorum has been negotiating a cable deal, which political insiders say most likely is with Fox -- though MSNBC and CNN have been mentioned as well -- "to be a screamer," as one political operative put it.

"You could see that as a pretty easy transition for that guy," said one Republican State Committee official. "He likes to get up and speak."

John Morgan (who is about as fond of Santorum as I am) of The Pennsylvania Progressive asks:

I wonder which of his homes he'll be selling now. This will prove quite revealing. Will he move his family of eight back to the Penn Hills house he maintained was their real home? If so how will they fit all eight of them in three bedrooms and what to do with all the furniture from their Leesburg McMansion?

My bet is they'll sell the small house and remain in Virginia. With no legitimate reason to have to live there I bet they find it difficult to leave it and downsize back to Penn Hills. At last we'll know whether he considers Pennsylvania his home or Virginia.

Let's see. This house or this one. Tough choice.

I apparently just missed Santorum at my old law firm in Pittsburgh. He started there shortly after I left & moved to Philly. However, I just can't see Santorum taking a position in a law firm, there or elsewhere. Of course, he wouldn't have to practice law or anything so mundane as that and I know he'd make the $$$, but I just don't think he could settle for the lack of visibility. As I said at So Long Santorum, I think the perfect job would be as a lobbyist for Jesus, Inc. If that job isn't available, he would definitely do well as a "screamer" (you can listen to a rant here) on Fox.

No comments: