Friday, February 22, 2008

A Day for Peace





Peace Sign Turns 50

[T]he peace sign turns fifty years old today. Over the past five decades the peace sign has become one of the world’s enduring icons. The original peace sign was developed in 1958 by a British textile designer and conscientious objector named Gerald Holtom. He created the symbol by combining the semaphore letters N and D, for nuclear disarmament. On Feb. 21, 1958 the symbol was accepted by the Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War. The symbol soon began to be used in anti-nuclear protests across Britain and then spread across the globe.

Democracy Now!

Worth noting in these times. Also interesting to see its origin. I always assumed that it came out of the 60's peace movement.

(Via Crooks and Liars)

3 comments:

libhom said...

Peace movements in this country go back at least as far as the War of 1812.

JudiPhilly said...

I guess I didn't express it well.

I was referring to the peace sign, not the peace movement. That, I would think, has been around in one form or another as long as there has been wars waged.

Janin said...

I think that the peace that we people want is not yet owned. It is because as time goes by, I've noticed that we are not showing it....About the symbol, well if otherpeople especially those who are not educated, can they really say that it is the sign for peace?
-janin-