Thursday, December 25, 2008

Traditions of the Eve


Christmas Eve, with all of its traditions. The holiday music playing, the fireplace blazing, the presents all wrapped under the tree. And, wonder of wonders, I actually finished -- rather than started -- the wrapping at 2:30 a.m.

I've mentioned before that in my family, Christmas Eve was the start of the Christmas Holiday. Twas the Night Before Christmas. For us, it rivaled Christmas itself in importance. My Italian grandmother always had the Feast of the Seven Fishes, La Vigilia. A feast for all -- except me. Didn't like seafood, still don't. However, I did -- and do -- like the tradition of gathering together friends and family.

Of course, as special as it was, it still didn't mean that we were allowed to open presents before Christmas morning. After all, traditions are traditions.

And this year, there's a very special present under the tree for me -- and a special surprise for our daughter, PhillyAngel as well.




In honor of the holiday season, we also lit the Menorah that I received from my in-laws. See Oy, Humbug.





And finally, as we celebrated Christmas eve, we lit the Baberry Candles, a Christmas Eve tradition from my husband, DavePhilly's family.







Here's the Bayberry Candle Poem:


This bayberry candle comes from a friend
so on Christmas eve burn it down to the end.
For a bayberry candle burned to the socket,
will bring joy to the heart and gold to the pocket.

No comments: