Saturday, January 20, 2007

Quote of the Day


Bill Maher
Born: January 20, 1956

“We need more people speaking out. This country is not overrun with rebels and free thinkers. It's overrun with sheep and conformists.”

“When we talk about values, I think of rationality in solving problems. That’s something I value. Fairness, kindness, generosity, tolerance. When they talk about values, they’re talking about things like going to church, voting for Bush, being loyal to Jesus, praying. These are not values.”

Also see a recent op-ed piece by Bill Maher's in the Boston Globe, A re-look-see at the Constitution. His humor, as always, is pretty much on target.

Tags: ,

2 comments:

QuakerDave said...

I used to really like Bill Maher. He used to make me laugh, and I used to think he was smart and open-minded. But his unrelenting bashing of all things and all those religious is really tiresome. And not very helpful.

JudiPhilly said...

I agree his humor is often biting, but I still think he is funny. I don't always agree with his positions,but at least he is someone who discusses the issues, rather than just imposing his own point of view. His take on religion can be cynical, but his lampooning of religious zealots, who are more hypocritical than full of faith,is right on (such as the quote in my post). In my view, it is the didactic religious extremists who are not helpful.