Friday, April 13, 2007

Oh, Unlucky Day


Instead of black cats bringing bad luck, we have a dog named Ginger to do the honors.

I've mentioned before that we live in Mount Airy. We are fortunate to have a big back yard, which is fenced in all around. This allows our dog, Ginger, free rein to roam in the yard.

However, much like our daughter, she likes to test the limits. Of late, she had begun digging under the fence and taking off in the neighborhood. There are several busy streets, including Lincoln Drive, nearby. We have been more vigilant watching her when she's out back, so she can't plot her escape.

This morning, at about 4 a.m., she barked to be let out. Insomniac that I am, I was awake, so I let her out in the back yard & watched out the window.

Unfortunately, I forgot that today was Friday the 13th.

The back gate was slightly ajar, so off she went. I quickly realized that she was gone from the yard, so I went looking for her. I found her around the corner & called her name. But no, she wasn't ready to come home. She came over to me, then quickly scooted by me and ran off. We played this game as she frolicked around the block. I went tiptoeing through neighbor's yards, trying to catch her, with no luck -- of course not -- it's Friday the 13th. We circled the block and I ran in to my husband, who heard me in the front yard, beneath our bedroom window.

So now there were two. Two silly people chasing a dog at 4:30 a.m. around the neighborhood. Dave went one way and I went the other. She finally circled the block again, ran through a neighbor's yard, ended up alongside our back yard & Dave caught her.

Finally -- home again. It's now nearly 5 a.m. and I've had my workout for the day. And the thought comes into my head -- it's Friday the 13th! I guess it could have been worse, at least none of my neighbors mistook me for a burglar rustling around and called the police.

Happy Paraskevidekatriaphobia Day. See also, Friday the 13th Facts.

No comments: