Friday, August 17, 2007

The New AT&T, same as the Old AT&T

I got my AT&T/Cingular bill yesterday. Unlike the Pittsburgh blogger who received her 300 page iPhone bill in a box, see IPHONE BILL, my bill contained a different surprise.

I mentioned that I signed up for LaptopConnect when I went to the on vacation because our mountain home didn't have internet access. As I said, see Guest Pass, "service in the mountains isn't the best, but I have been able to connect (some family members can't get cell service at all). I have a time limited account, so I haven't been on-line as much."

When I signed up for LaptopConnect service (a 2 year plan), I got the basic level of service, since I'm not on the road without access all that much. The representative at the AT&T store (who is really a nice, helpful guy), told me that my level of service -- which is listed in MB -- would cover approximately 100 hours/month. I thought that that sounded a bit high, so I tried checking my on-line account to keep tabs on usage, but it didn't have the new service listed yet. I also couldn't find anything at AT&T's website explaining how much time equates to my data plan. I then had my assistant contact AT&T. She was told that the available MB equaled about 10 hours/month. I went with that as my guide and tried to keep track of my time on-line. I figured I spent between 10-12 hours on-line while I was away. I went to the Community Center, which had wifi access, a few times as well.

So when my bill was available on-line, imagine my surprise to see my bill for usage was $490. (not counting the monthly charge & other fees for the service). For that -- I could have gotten the iPhone. For that -- I could have gotten the unlimited plan & paid for 8 months of service. Of course, we called (I should say my poor assistant called) to complain about the bill. 1& 1/2 hours (plus several levels of supervisors) later, they finally agreed to adjust the bill. She's a hawk in reviewing our bills to make sure things are correct & great in dealing with these types of issues (& I know she'll be reading this).

It reminded me of our experience with AT&T several years ago. My old firm had switched to AT&T, but the service was practically non-existent in the Philly suburbs (where we worked & most of my partners lived). The service was truly useless, yet AT&T gave us a difficult time getting out of our contract.

I think I have a suggestion for a logo for AT&T: The new AT&T -- same as the old AT&T -- back from the dead.

As a final note, perhaps the iPhone Bill in a Box video could be the next viral video, a la SNL's "Dick in a Box" and "Box in a Box."

Tags:

No comments: