Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Silence Was Deafening

As I mentioned in Thomas is a Terror, I greatly admire Helen Thomas (and not just because she's Lebanese).

I think Helen Thomas personifies what it means to be a journalist. Thomas is one of the few reporters that has been critical of the Bush administration. She has condemned the Patriot Act and criticized many of Bush's domestic and international policies. She also called the Iraq war "a violation of international policy under any circumstance," and said it is "immoral."

I also believe that the fact that she is in the minority today contributed to the decline in the press, both as to the loss of credibility and the loss of readership. This is a topic that is of interest to me, since my original career plan was to be a journalist. It is also a subject that I want to devote more time to in the near future.

In the meantime, Thomas was interviewed by Bill Maher on Real Time and the video can be seen at: Crooks and Liars. It's very good.

No comments: