Thursday, June 29, 2006

Home - Work


Scenes from Lincoln Drive (near home) and outside our window at the office (in Conshy), where the water covers Septa's R5 Norristown rail line and the Bikepath. We've been in these offices 6 years and have never seen it like this.

Of course, yesterday was an extremely hectic day at work, including into late last evening, as I've been immersed in trying to close several deals by July 1 deadlines. I was so oblivious that I didn't realize how much flooding there was in NE PA until about 10 pm, when my husband asked if I had talked to my parents. They are home for the summer (from Florida) and have been through several floods in Scranton. Luckily for them, the gate system that was installed a number of years ago on the Lackawanna River near their home held up. I was astounded to learn that Wilkes-Barre was being evacuated, in the worst flooding since Hurricane Agnes in 1972. The Scranton Times-Tribune has the report, Overwhelmed, under water.

I still remember that flood and its aftermath. I lived at home then and can remember watching the flood waters in Scranton, worried whether we would be flooded out (we weren't). Afterwards, I spent time helping out in Wilkes-Barre -- what a disaster that was. The town was totally destroyed. Then-Congressman Dan Flood helped to rebuild the city, turning an old coal town into a modern city. The flood relief measures implemented at that time have helped for many years.

My thoughts are with them today.

Tags: ,

No comments: