Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Cleansing


It's one of those days where everything I read reminds me of the office. For example, this piece about Bush's Latin America trip:

Bush's seven-day tour of Latin America includes a stopover beginning late Sunday in Guatemala. On Monday morning he is scheduled to visit the archaeological site Iximche on the high western plateau in a region of the Central American country populated mostly by Mayans.

Tiney said the "spirit guides of the Mayan community" decided it would be necessary to cleanse the sacred site of "bad spirits" after Bush's visit so that their ancestors could rest in peace.
See Priests to purify site after Bush visit.

This article really made me chuckle for a variety of reasons. I love the idea that the Mayans feel the need to cleanse the sacred site after Bush has been there. The other is the fact that it reminds me of my own experience with exorcising "bad spirits."

A few years ago, I went through a nasty partnership break-up, which ended up in litigation. Nothing worse than a nasty divorce between lawyers. The worst part of this particular ugly split was that it was totally unnecessary. We each had our own client base, so there was no real argument over who was getting which clients. There was nothing to fight about, but that didn't stop my associate who was a disturbed individual.

Once it was finally settled, the LWL* hired a woman (pictured above) to come to the office to perform an "exorcism" to purify the office of the bad spirits left behind by our former office mate. Being the LWL Gang, we then celebrated with a wine and cheese party. It worked. The office has had good karma ever since.

* Ladies Who Lunch (a/k/a my office mates)

(Via Crooks and Liars)

No comments: