Monday, July 02, 2007

He's A Man of His Word

On Sept. 30, 2003, Mr. Bush said he was eager to find out if there had been "a leak" from his administration about Mrs. Wilson. "I want to know who it is," he said. "And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of."
See NYTimes, Bush Says He'll Fire Any Aide Who 'Committed a Crime'

We now know precisely what Bush meant by taking care of the Lawless Administration official who leaked the undercover CIA officer, Valerie Plame's name to the press. A man of his word -- he commuted Libby's sentence, sparing him jail time. Libby was definitely taken care of.

As the NYTimes reports, Bush Commutes Libby’s Prison Sentence:
President Bush said today that he had used his power of clemency to commute the 30-month sentence for I. Lewis Libby Jr., the former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney, who was convicted of perjury in March and was due to begin serving his time within weeks.
And to think -- all this time, I thought that he was a big liar. Mea culpa!

~~~
And an endnote on this: This makes me really mad from a personal perspective. One of the LLWL* gang used to date Scooter Libby. Now that he's avoided jail, I can't give her a hard time about the jail house lover in her past. It's just not fair!

(LLWL = Lady Lawyers Who Lunch, a/k/a my officemates)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This not a comment; it is a question. Recently I am unable to connect to Rozius Unbound, which you list as one of your favorite blogs. Do you know where it went?

joewalkerz_20004atYahoo.com

Anonymous said...

But he's still a convicted felon, as opposed to being merely conviction-worthy (what many regard as the default status of most lawyers).

JudiPhilly said...

Joseph W:

I tried emailing you to let you know that I've been in touch with Rosius & the NYTimes apparently gave him a hard time about reprinting their stuff (I assume Google then killed his blog, a la YouTube for copyright violations).

He plans to start a new blog (& I'll have it on my blog list when he does)

JudiPhilly said...

Susan:

Convicted felon is sooo pedestrian (especially for a lawyer). Now jail time -- that would have just done it!!