Sunday, August 19, 2007

iGeek


So, after I wrote my screed about AT&T and my Laptop Connect data plan, see The New AT&T, same as the Old AT&T, I started thinking about what I said (wrote). If I was subscribing to a data service that I don't have much need for, why not switch to something that I'd get more use out of. Of course, I'm talking about the iPhone.

Even though I am an over 50, female, attorney (all of which would suggest otherwise), I am fairly techie. Unlike most lawyers (who would prefer never to type and miss using their legal secretaries for all of the administrative stuff), I angeled for my own computer early on, so I could do my own work. When I got a new computer at the office (before most got their first), I took the old one home, popped the lid & installed my own sound card -- and I was hooked from there. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I worked for a computer company through high school and college (in the old days when mainframes took up a room and the language was Fortran and Cobalt). Whatever the reason, I'm a technology fan -- I read tech magazines for fun. Our office IT guys joke that I have enough "extra" computer hardware around the office that they call before they order anything to see if I have what we need in my stash.

I also love gadgets and am usually one of the early adapters of new technology, so I must admit that I've had my eye on the iPhone. My friends, family and colleagues can't believe I wasn't in line to be one of the first kids on the block to have one. In fact, one of the other attorneys in the office got one, which has made me no end of jealous.

However, a few things stopped me. First, I tend to like my gadgets to perform as intended (cell phone to be a phone that works well, not prepare dinner too). Up till now, I didn't even mix phone and palm device. My philosophy is that if one thing breaks or goes missing, not all is lost. I was also going to wait for 2nd generation device to come out, figuring most of the bugs would be worked out by then. I've read a number of the reviews and although the phone does have some great features, see Apple's iPhone: an initial (but in-depth) review and The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype, it's not perfect and is missing some important features (e.g. bluetooth for data transfer).

And finally, there was the cost. It may be a great tech toy, but $600 (cuz if you're going to get one, you may as well go the whole way & get the 8GB) for a phone? Plus the extra monthly service charge? How could I justify it? After all, I already have a decent cell phone (my second Razr), plus a Palm that has lots of good features, and great digital camera(s) (the Canon PowerShot SD800 IS and a Nikon Coolpix 5400), so I didn't really need the iPhone yet -- at that price anyway.

But the more I thought about it, if I was going to spend all that money on the internet data plan -- when I compared cost of service for what I had vs. iPhone, it was worth the switch. In fact, a savings of approximately $500 altogether. So, I got AT&T to agree to switch things out and I'm now the owner of an iPhone. I tried to rationalize that it was worth getting, since I didn't have an iPod. Even so, I hated spending the money (my assistant said I looked depressed after leaving the AT&T store).

Of course, the minute I get one, I read about some of the problems with the phone at Shaun Mullen's blog, Second Thoughts on the Aye-Yai-Yai-Phone, citing Popular Science Blog. Plus, I can't sync my Outlook Calendar, apparently a fairly common glitch and the computer crashes if you take photos & then try to sync. And it is missing a few favs, such as the ability to use a stylus, no games or other applications and limited ringtones. I assume that most of these things will be fixed in the near future (I'm used to issues as an early adapter).

Other than these problems, I must say I do like it -- a lot. My husband & I went out to dinner after I got it up & running & we played with it a bit. Even he likes it & he is Mr. Technophobe.

Well, we shall see if it lives up to its hype after I have a chance to use it a bit more.

Tags: ,

2 comments:

pygalgia said...

I, too, am a tech geek. Going back to the TRS-80. But I'm avoiding the iPhone. Could be because I hate my cell phone, period. I only want the tools I need, and the iPhone strikes me as something I don't need.

JudiPhilly said...

My intro to the world of computers was in the early '70s, so I go waaay back. But I then gave it up for many years, pursuing other interests/careers. Then, it was a job, now it is fun.

I too was cell phone-a-phobic for many years, but finally gave way. For me, it is somewhat a necessity for my job. With a small firm, there's no one else to pick things up when you are not around (the trade-off is that it gives me great flexibility to go where & still be reachable, if necessary).

So I figure, if I gotta have it, why not have some fun with it?