Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lite Brites


If the last six years needed a punchline, it was delivered in Boston yesterday.
This comment, via Boing Boing, is probably the best epitaph for the Boston light scare. I know this was a few days ago, but I just had to make note of it.

The neon light boards may have looked like the children's toy "Lite Brites" see While Boston went berserk, Philly just gave finger to ad boxes, but the various city officials in Boston, Philly and elsewhere are not the brightest lights by any means when it comes to the reaction to this publicity stunt, so we have an overreaction extraordinaire.

As Will Bunch of Attytood, in The face of evil, expressed:
Honestly, what to say about the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and yesterday's fiasco that shut down Boston. . . . It's always risky to criticize the authorities for being too vigilant in guarding the public safety, we guess -- but this is just all so ridiculous. Can't America defend itself from real terrorism without looking this stupid?
Citing Boston's Weekly paper, Boing, Boing notes:
Next, let’s all get out our dictionary and look up “hoax”, shall we? Because while “War of the Worlds” was a hoax, this was not. There was no subterfuge involved, and no effort made to convince people that these devices were bombs. If I see a scary looking tree out my bedroom window, think it’s a monster, and then discover upon closer inspection that it isn’t, it doesn’t mean the tree has perpetrated a hoax against me. What it means is that for a moment I took leave of my senses. And just because I’m embarrassed about it doesn’t give me the right to go cut down the tree.
If this is really where we are -- forget about Lite Brites -- we are doomed.

(Picture via Philadelphia Will Do)

No comments: