Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Quote of the Day

This is apropos of nothing in particular, but I'd just like to mention that the past year has been an intellectually humbling one for me. As a general purpose blogger I'm accustomed to spouting off on topics I know only a little bit about, but all that spouting has become more difficult lately. There's just too much stuff I'm really not sure what to think about. For example: I don't know if we should send more troops to Afghanistan. I don't know if fiscal stimulus will work. I don't know what to do about Pakistan. I don't who or what is really responsible for our financial meltdown. I don't know if we need to nationalize some banks. I don't know the best way to handle detainees at Guantanamo. I don't know whether it's a good idea to bail out Detroit. I don't have even the slightest clue how to pursue peace in the Middle East.

On the other hand, Social Security is still a minor problem, national healthcare would be better than our current jury rigged hodgepodge, torture is wrong, global warming is real, preventive war is a bad idea, gay marriage will have no ill effects on straight marriage, Sarah Palin is still an embarrassment, and Inkblot is still America's Cat1. So there.

1Well, why not? If the Dallas Cowboys can be America's Team and Rudy Giuliani can be America's Mayor, why can't Inkblot be America's Cat?


Kevin Drum, Mother Jones, Epistemological Modesty

No comments: