Wednesday, October 22, 2008

She's Terribly Cute


The other day at the office, we were discussing whether the selection of Sarah Palin helped or hurt McCain overall. At this point, it seems most people think she's a drag. Palin's Qualifications Now Top Concern About McCain Candidacy. One of the LLWL Gang (our token Republican) observed that, despite all, Palin is effective because she presents herself in a very charming and winsome manner. I responded that I was unable to see the charm past the substance (or lack thereof) that came out of her mouth. See e.g., The Great Debate.

Jon Stewart, during a recent appearance at Northeastern University in Boston, criticized Palin for her divisive remarks. His comment about Palin was the perfect retort to the so-called charm of Palin:

He (McCain) made an interesting vice presidential choice.

I like the woods...I just don't know if I would pull my vice president out of the woods randomly.

She came out again today. She was talking to a small town, she said that small towns, that's the part of the country she really likes going to because that's the pro-America part of the country.

You know, I just want to say to her, just very quickly...Fuck you.

I've never seen someone with a greater disparity between how cute they sound when they're saying something and how terrible what they're saying is.

Don't ya know, Obama, by golly, he just is a terrorist? What? Oh, you know, he just, gosh, kills babies, you know. (Emphasis added)

See Jon Stewart To Sarah Palin: "F*** You" and Jon Stewart to Sarah Palin: '[Expletive] You.'. (The video (not great quality) and transcript is available there)

Stewart then clarified his remarks about Palin on the Daily Show:



The LLWL Gang also discussed Palin's appearance on SNL, which I thought was much ado about nothing. One of the other gang members, however, thought she would end up with her own TV show when this was all over. Sounds like Lorne Michaels agrees, Lorne Michaels talks Sarah Palin:
I think Palin will continue to be underestimated for a while. I watched the way she connected with people, and she's powerful. Her politics aren't my politics. But you can see that she's a very powerful, very disciplined, incredibly gracious woman. This was her first time out and she's had a huge impact. People connect to her.

* * * *

I think she could have her own show, yeah.

Ok, so I'm not a casting director.

(LLWL Gang = Lady Lawyers Who Lunch, a/k/a my officemates)

No comments: