Monday, November 24, 2008

A Toss of the Gauntlet


Monday morning. Start of the week. I arrived at my office, a bit rushed & harried because I had to finish preparing for an early morning client conference call.

To my surprise, what did I discover displayed on my desk, but a gauntlet tossed down, so to speak, in the form of a handmade Palin Poster (pictured) -- including a menu to the Old Forge Pizza place that the loser has to buy pizza for the office. See More Cake Please. The LLWL* member with whom I have the wager about the future prospects of Sarah Palin put together the Poster, as she gleefully gloated about the latest Palin news article. She claims Sarah is going to have a future in politics -- or at least a TV deal on Fox or some other right wing cable channel. I say she's history as soon as the next nut arrives on the scene for the media to fawn over.

As the Poster notes, over the week-end the Philadelphia Inky reported, and seemingly sided with my cohort, in Palin, back in Alaska, weighs her options:

Sarah Palin is juggling offers to write books, appear in films, and sit on dozens of interview couches at a rate astonishing for most Hollywood stars, let alone a first-term governor.

Oprah Winfrey wants her. So do David Letterman and Jay Leno.

The failed Republican vice presidential candidate crunched state budget numbers last week in her 17th-floor office as tumbling oil prices hit Alaska's revenues. Her staff, meanwhile, fielded television requests seeking Palin, 44, for late-night banter and Sunday morning Washington policy talks.

Agents from the William Morris Agency and elsewhere have come knocking. There even has been an offer to host a TV show.

"Tomorrow, Gov. Palin could do an interview with any news media on the planet," said her spokesman, Bill McAllister. "Tomorrow, she could probably sign any one of a dozen book deals. She could start talking to people about a documentary or a movie on her life. That's the level we are at here."

Of course, I had seen the piece already and cursed it mightily.

And then there's the "Thank You, Sarah" Thanksgiving video that some conservative group, Our Country PAC, is planning to run on TV over the week-end. They can say what they want, but the real thanks, as Wonkette says, is a Thank You, Moose Clown, For Helping the Republicans Have Such An Epic Loss.

All I have to say is: Oh sure, she may be "Little Miss Popular" Palin today, but she's gonna be "Sad Sack" Sarah tomorrow, when the glow is off that rose & she's sitting there all alone, saying "you betcha" to an empty room.

Lest we forget who we're talking about, here's The Daily Show's Best Sarah moments:



Do I sound bitter? Oh no. I may be from Scranton, but I don't cling to guns, faith or my bitters (I leave the bitters for Bush). I know I will prevail. It may take some time, but I just know that my pal, the LLWL Loser, will be buying the office pizza. Finally, these Philly people will know what real pizza tastes like! After all, as the Inky piece notes:
"She has to pace herself," suggested veteran Hollywood publicist Howard Bragman. "She wants a career made in a Crock-Pot, not a microwave."
He's a little bit off on that analogy. Crock-Pot, microwave, it doesn't make a difference. Either way -- she's a crack-pot.



_____
LLWL = Lady Lawyers Who Lunch, a/k/a my officemates.

No comments: