Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Seasonal Change


My Mount Airy neighborhood is an oasis of trees, as is my yard, for that matter. I may be a summer person, but this time of year is breathtakingly beautiful, as the leaves change color. With the advent of fall, the feeling of change is all around. I suppose it's appropriate that elections occur at this time of year. And this is my favorite tree, poised right outside my front door, especially when it turns a reddish shade of brown.

Mt. Airy is also one of the most politically active areas of the city. My ward had over 10,000 Democrats vote in the primary (86% for Obama), compared to 100 Republicans. And, high voter turnout is the norm -- I've had long waits to vote in the past. With this in mind, I worked at home today and planned to vote mid-morning. However, my husband drove by the polling place on this way to work and called to say that it didn't look too crowded. So, off we went a little after 9 a.m., and cast our ballot. I was number 233, even at that time. As those numbers show, it was crowded even before the doors opened and I heard that the Police Commissioner, who is a neighbor, was there a little after 5 a.m. (I've always had good polling locations, my last spot, in East Falls, was Ed Rendell's voting spot).

Most of the LLWL* were out at the polls today, either in Delaware, Chester or Montgomery County, working as Voter Protection attorneys or for Allyson Schwartz. Democrats are more needed in the Republican suburbs (althouth that registration picture is beginning to change). Unfortunately, I'm nursing a torn miniscus, so I had to pass. However, reports so far sound good. Big turnout, not too many problems. One of the LLWL Gang did report problems with her machine when she tried to vote -- it turns out the machine hadn't been activated (at 11:30 a.m., no less)! That sounds like human error, however, rather than voter fraud.

It's all that anyone talks about today. And, despite my husband's major case of election anxiety, I'm feeling good about it. Like my tree, it's the time for change.

No comments: