Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Did He or Didn't He?

The election is over. As KYW noted Few Problems at Phila. Polls, But Some Long Waits. Unfortunately, I was in the latter category. We got to the polls at 7:45 pm & had to wait 1 1/2 hours to cast our ballot. That's what happens when you live in Mount Airy, with a bunch of politically active people. My Ward, the 22nd, had a line out the door and down the walkway when I got there at 7:40 pm. I didn't get into the voting booth until 9:15 pm (and there were still a dozen or so people behind me). I guess that's a good thing, but it was a loooong wait.

In the end, the good news is that Michael Nutter won the Mayoral race (since the primary is pretty much it in this one party town). For a change, I picked a winner, Nuts for Nutter. Even better, I think he'll be good for Philly.

A breakdown of the results:

Election Category: MAYOR-D

96.25 % 1618/1681 Precincts Completed.

Overall winner(s) Denoted by Winner vs Runner(s) up
Candidate Name Party Votes % of Total Votes
BRADY, ROBERT A DEMOCRATIC 43050 15.20 %
BASS, QUEENA DEMOCRATIC 922 0.33 %
NUTTER, MICHAEL DEMOCRATIC 103885 36.67 %
FATTAH, CHAKA DEMOCRATIC 42916 15.15 %
EVANS, DWIGHT DEMOCRATIC 22212 7.84 %
KNOX, THOMAS J DEMOCRATIC 69862 24.66 %
WHITE, JESUS DEMOCRATIC 414 0.15 %
Write In
6 0.00 %

Source: Philadelphia Comprehensive Election Results

Note the "Write Ins" -- my husband Dave claims that he is in that last category. He says he wrote in his own name. My daughter & I were outraged that he would waste a vote like that. Did he really is the question we keep asking ourselves -- and he won't tell.

My pick for Philly Court of Common Pleas -- Ellen Green-Ceisler -- also won, but my choice for Supreme Court, Darrel Jones, lost, McCaffery, Krancer win shots at Supreme Court, as well as my other picks, see Who Else.

Seems to mostly happen that way. Reminds me of my days in Harrisburg. Two guys I worked with decided to run for congress and both asked me to work on their campaigns. However, the one that I was sure would win -- he was a bright, hard working, policy wonk running in a largely Democratic district, lost. The other, who I was sure would lose -- a good looking, charming but mostly no-substance kind of guy, who ran in a mostly Republican district, won. That's when I knew politics was not my forte. Luckily, I said no to both & ended up going to law school instead.

One final note. Too bad Diane Gibbons won. Gibbons appears headed to the bench. Based upon her conduct in the Ramos matter, see This is Not Justice, the the last thing I would call her is judicial.

No comments: