Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lift-off on Lincoln Drive


The timing couldn't have been better. My daughter was getting ready to go on her first driving lesson this morning. We've taken her out driving here and there, mostly off-hour, side road driving, but she hasn't had any real road lessons yet.

She got a call from a friend, telling her about an accident in the neighborhood & she ran out to see. A few minutes later she called me, saying that I should come out too. Out I went, camera in hand. It was a neighborhood event, cars stopping & people gathered to see the car wedged in the sunroom of a home on Lincoln Drive in Mount Airy.

Apparently, sometime after 2 a.m. this morning, the car knocked over a traffic light at the corner, then careened across the street, went through a fence, up an incline and somehow ended up wedged in the sunroom of the home. According to ABC News:

Three women were in the vehicle at the time of the crash. They were all taken to Chestnut Hill Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

Drunk driving is among the charges that the driver of the SUV is facing.

See Vehicle Catapults Off Lincoln Drive into Home. I had heard that the girls were taken to the hospital & so I didn't want to post this until I heard that they were alright.

Lincoln Drive can be difficult to maneuver under the best of circumstances -- it's a narrow, windy road. It's the road Teddy Pendergrass had his near fatal collision in 1982, which left him paralyzed.

As for my daughter, she got her best first driver safety lesson before she even got behind the wheel today.

No comments: