Monday, December 25, 2006

No No Noel

The NY Times has an article that is for one of the LWL,* Jewish in a Winter Wonderland. She too is Jewish & loves "Christmas, in all its kitschy splendor." As the writer Cindy Chupack said:

So as I browsed past velvet monogrammed stockings and quilted tree skirts and pine wreaths and silver-plated picture frames that doubled as stocking holders (genius!), I said to myself, as much as to my husband: “This is why I sometimes wish I celebrated Christmas. Everything looks so cozy and inviting.” And much to my surprise, he said, “We can celebrate Christmas if you want.” And like a 12-year-old, I said, “We can?” And he said, “Sure.”

* * * *

Still, even just considering the idea felt wrong and dirty and, well, totally exhilarating, like your first night away at college, when you realize you can stay out until dawn because nobody is waiting up for you. My husband and I were consenting adults. This was our house. Why couldn’t we celebrate whatever we wanted?

We decided we could, and proceeded to embrace the holiday in all of its materialistic glory. For example, I know it can be annoying to you Christmas veterans, but right now I love nothing more than hearing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” while I’m shopping for stocking stuffers. I love stocking stuffers. I love having stockings to stuff. I love the fact that whole sections of many stores, from CVS to Neiman Marcus, have opened up to me. I love tinsel. It’s so simple, yet so elegant!

Because her partner doesn't do Christmas, we decided to do a little Christmas in the office. We decorated a little tree in the office & bought a wreath for our office door. Sorry Mandy, I'm with Julie on this one.

* Ladies Who Lunch (a/k/a my officemates)

No comments: