Sunday, August 27, 2006

He's a Winner, We're the Losers

I go on vacation for a week and look what happens. No, I'm not talking about Iraq (or Iran or Lebanon, for that matter) -- Rob Corddry is leaving the Daily Show. Here's his last appearance, featuring the party they threw for him. Oh no. There was no party, so he gave himself a farewell tribute. See Corddry Farewell.

Corddry has a new Fox sitcom, The Winner. TV Squad wonders, After Corddry leaves The Daily Show, who's left?, noting:

He's the last of the three "Big Cs" -- Corddry, Carell, Colbert -- that helped bring the show into its own in the early part of the decade, perfecting their particular reporter roles to the point where the humor came as much out of their characters as from making fun of the news or profile subject. Colbert was the poorly-informed smug guy; Carell was pathetic, and Corddry was the Masshole. High comedy all around. And now, he's taking off, just like the other two Cs before him.
Now, I think TDS is hysterical and it's political comedy writing is brilliant. Admittedly, Carell is before my time (I'm a relatively recent convert to the Daily Show), but I didn't think the departure of Stephen Colbert was a loss. After all, Colbert's show comes right after TDS, so I feel like the show went from 1/2 hour to an hour, rather than losing someone.

No comments: