Saturday, August 19, 2006

They Put the U in Ululate

Jon Stewart gives an update on the Lebanon situation as it enters the "cross your fingers" stage, in Hezbollah. Daily Show's Lebanon Bureau Chief John Oliver explains that Hezbollah has already started relief and rebuilding efforts, using a simple process:

Let's say your home was bombed. First, you file a claim by standing on your rubble and ululating. . . . Hezbollah puts the u in ululate.
He also explains that the bombing campaign has made Hezbollah even stronger. As he added:
From what I hear, they're very keen to take on their next project. The reconstruction of New Orleans. As the residents of war-torn country point out, John, Hezbollah may be a ragtag group of under-educated, Islamic extremist militiamen, but at least they're not FEMA.
And in case you missed the previous report from Lebanon, see IEO: Improvised Explosive Opportunity, which featured Assif Mandvi, the Daily Show's Middle Eastern Affairs Correspondent.

Speaking of the Mideast, in Silence From The Left, Dan Rubin observed that liberal bloggers have pretty much stayed away from the Lebanon conflict. This certainly is true for me. In part, it's a matter of priorities; I only have so much time to devote to blogging. so I tend to focus on local and national politics.

Another reason is that I have very mixed feelings about Lebanon, Hezbollah and Israel. I am part Lebanese and was raised in the Maronite Catholic Church. I certainly have no affinity for Hezbollah, and believe that their conduct was reprehensible, but I also think Israel overreacted -- the old "two wrongs don't make a right" applies here. Worst of all, I fear that the result of the aggressive response by Israel may be as predicted by David Hirst in this Guardian Comment, Hizbullah has achieved what Arab states only dreamed of.

I'd much rather stick with the Daily Show's view of the world. At least I could laugh.

No comments: