Friday, August 25, 2006

Let Your Fingers do the Walking


. . . And talking, if this story is to be believed.

The house shown in the picture is the subject of controversy in its Riverton, Utah neighborhood. What is depicted on the air vent cover on the house? Take a guess. The owner says it's a cactus. The neighbors? They say it's an obscene hand gesture. Is he giving them an artful finger?

This video, from OneGoodMove, Only In Utah, tells the story and it is definitely a don't miss!

As a Commenter explained:

The neighbor at higher elevation is upset because someone actually bought the property next to his and the newly built house barely obstructs his view of the surrounding mountains. . . . Boo hoo, if he didn't want anyone to build there, he should have bought the property himself. There's also some nitpicking on the height of the house being taller than code, but the builder said after landscaping, it would be within code. The guy actually lowered the level of the property, meaning there's less obstruction anyways!
See also, the Orlando Sentinel, Cactus or middle finger?

The best part of the story is the reaction of the neighbors! The outrage expressed by this painted vent is too funny -- as one woman said, "In the state of Utah we all have good family values . . ."

What made me laugh most is when I first viewed the video, I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be. Based upon the reaction, I assumed it was some religious defamation of some sort. But no, it was the finger. Now, I have been known to express myself by means of this particular gesture, but it wasn't obvious to me. I guess I just don't have my mind in the gutter -- you need an extra dose of "family values" for that. You know, like this guy:



No comments: