Friday, November 10, 2006

And . . . He's Out!!

Ken Mehlman is out. In more ways than one.

The Washington Post reports that he won't be seeking a new term as head of the RNC, Mehlman Won't Seek Another Term as Republican Party Chief. The paper notes that "Mehlman is leaving his position voluntarily and has not come under any pressure from the White House or state party leaders to vacate his position as a result of Tuesday's elections."

What is not mentioned is what happened on CNN's Larry King Live the other night, when Bill Maher suggested that Ken Mehlman is gay. The relevant portion of the exchange:

Maher: A lot of the chiefs of staff, the people who really run the underpinnings of the Republican Party, are gay. I don't want to mention names, but I will Friday night...

King:You will Friday night?

Maher: Well, there's a couple of big people who I think everyone in Washington knows who run the Republican...

King: You will name them?

Maher: Well, I wouldn't be the first. I'd get sued if I was the first. Ken Mehlman. Ok, there's one I think people have talked about. I don't think he's denied it when he's been, people have suggested, he doesn't say...

King: I never heard that. I'm walking around in a fog. I never...Ken Mehlman? I never heard that. But the question is...

Maher: Maybe you don't go to the same bathhouse I do, Larry.
Maher's comments must have caused quite a stir, because CNN edited out that part of the interview. However, Huffington Post has the original video and the edited (read that: censored) version. See also, Crooks & Liars, Maher Outs Mehlman On CNN.

Of course, that little episode would not have had anything to do with his decision, I'm sure.

No comments: