Saturday, November 04, 2006

No Gentle Good Night for Her




That was the theme of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) Annual Public Gathering, at the Arch Street Meeting House in Philadelphia today, which featured White House Journalist Helen Thomas.

I think I'm officially a Thomas groupie -- I've seen her twice in 6 months. One of the Ladies Who Lunch & I attended the session to hear Helen Thomas (we lunched first, natch).

As was the case when I saw her in May, see Thomas the Terrible, she was inspiring as a journalist who believes that the role of the press is to be Watchdogs of Democracy (also the title of her latest book). Not surprisingly, the crowd in attendance at the AFSC meeting was enthusiastic about Thomas' views -- on the Bush Administration, the War in Iraq and the role of the press and us as citizens. She received several standing ovations during her talk. As she did before, she also took many questions from the audience on a variety of topics.

This Alternet interview provides a little the flavor, Asking Bush the Tough Questions:

Here's a question for Thomas: After covering nine presidents, does she believe in her heart that Bush will strike Iran? She pauses and slowly shakes her head. No, she says. It would be "such a folly" for the administration to take military action against Iran. "The president has enough on his plate."

But she vows to continue being in the president's face. "I respect the office of the presidency," she says, "but I never worship at the shrines of our public servants. They owe us the truth. They owe us peace. America should never be a country that starts wars; Iraq has reminded Americans of that. We do not have the right to attack anyone we think is a potential enemy.

"The Washington press corps has the privilege of asking the president of the United States what he is doing and why," she continues. "We don't go into journalism to be popular. It is our job to seek the truth and put constant pressure on our leaders until we get answers. We threw in the towel after 9/11. But I think -- I hope -- we're more skeptical now. The press is coming out of its coma."

Those who know me will appreciate this little aside. I was chatting with Helen Thomas for a few minutes after her talk, and I mentioned our common background -- we are both Lebanese. A few minutes later, I complemented her on her jewelry. Along with the pearls in the picture, she wore a number of gold bangle bracelets and rings. She smiled at me (wearing my fair share of jewelry) and said: we do like our jewelry, don't we? I think it's in our blood -- it's an ethnic thing. All I do was laugh & say touche.

See also, Thomas Tells All, which has the video of her interview with Jon Stewart.

UPDATE: In Verbatim 'Spin is not the truth...', the Philadelphia Inquirer has its Q and A's from an interview with Thomas.

No comments: