Sunday, April 15, 2007

Everybody Hates Frank Rich



Frank Rich's NY Times column today, Everybody Hates Don Imus, was one of his more controversial pieces, engendering quite a bit of comment in the blog world. See e.g., Welcome to Pottersville, JP On Frank Rich On Imus On Rutgers, who noted that "Rich’s op-ed piece in today’s NY Times, 'Everybody Hates Don Imus' has been getting almost universal condemnation on both sides of the blogosphere since it came out last night."

Rich, like Bill Maher, has "defended" Imus and queried where the line should be. I have tried to avoid this vile fracas (much like I do shows like his), since I can't possibly have anything to add that hasn't already been said.

I must admit, however, that I'm somewhat conflicted over the whole affair, since there are many other examples of vicious, hate filled words uttered on the radio and TV waves by the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Glen Beck and others. It's my view that they are despicable and so are not allowed to sully my airspace. That's my choice. If enough people exercised the power of the off button, that would better rid us of this manner of crass host.

Having said that, I also feel that the decision to pick one comment over another (and there are many -- too many) and then to say this crosses the line is somewhat like a crap shoot. Is there (should there be) a difference if it's said as part of a comedy routine vs. regular discourse? Comedy is the ability to find humor by focusing on our foibles, even in an outrageous way, a la Lenny Bruce.

I've often observed that the one way to know that we've truly overcome our prejudices is when we reach the point that we are able to make jokes about other ethnic and racial groups, without offense. Unfortunately, I don't know that we'll ever see that day.

In the meantime, I give you Bill Maher, on Imus, who tries.

~ ~ ~
All my humor is based upon destruction and despair. If the whole world were tranquil, without disease and violence, I'd be standing on the breadline right in back of J. Edgar Hoover.
-- Lenny Bruce

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DUDE, THAT'S FROM MY YOUTUBE SITE.......THAT'S FREAKING SWEET.

I have to update the address though.

http://veoh.com/users/mokeeloc