Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ricky's Gotta Go

The Bob Casey-Rick Santorum Senate race in Pennsylvania is one of the major races being watched by both parties across the country. Noting its importance, the Nation has an article on Casey by John Nichols, Democratic Alarms in PA, focusing on his expressed "support" for the confirmation of now-Justice Alito to the Supreme Court.

Casey, like his father, is generally socially progressive, but is conservative on a number of issues important to liberal Democrats, such as choice and stem cell research. He's been called "Santorum-Lite" because of those positions (probably by Republicans promoting the similarity behind the scenes).

However, Rick Santorum is a right wing extremist that needs to be retired. The man has real problems. He & his wife brought home their child who died shortly after birth so the family could have time to "say good-bye." That's not to dismiss or belittle the grief in the loss of a child, but that is disturbed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that would have been prohibited except for the fact that Santorum was a "Senator" who received special treatment. Despite his cleverly worded denials, I also wouldn't be surprised if he was not a member, at some level, of Opus Dei. And I'm not talking about the Opus Dei characterized by the novel, the DaVinci Code. I'm talking about the real thing, the ultra-conservative, Catholic cult. Those are just a few of my objections to him on a personal level. Politically, the man is a cretin. I may even have more disdain for him than Bush. Now that I think about it, it's hard to say. Maybe not.

Being from Scranton originally, I know the Casey family. I went to school with one of the Caseys (who didn't, with so many kids in the family). In fact, I almost worked for his father after law school, before he ran for governor, except I couldn't bring myself to return home. They were (are) a respected, well-regarded family with strong social leanings. Clearly, however, they fall in the moderate spectrum of the Democratic party.

I agree that he is not as liberal as I'd prefer, but I want someone who will beat Ricky. I know that many Democrats favor Chuck Pennacchio, who is certainly more liberal-minded. Ordinarily, I would too, but I believe that Casey has a better chance to defeat Santorum than most. So, I'm willing to put up with his shortcomings. I trust in his views overall, even if he doesn't match up on all of the important issues.

Moreover, one of my major criticisms of Republicans is the fact that they are often single issue focused (e.g. abortion), I don't want to fall prey to the same thing, so I'm willing to be open-minded. On the other hand, I just want that nutcase Rick Santorum gone. And that's my single issue in this race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, this is should not be a single-issue primary.

But, it should be a primary. We Democrats need to come together to oppose the candidate who supports President Bush not only on abortion, but on Iraq, on Stem-Cell Research, on the Death Penalty, on the Living Wage issue, on Alito and Roberts, on gun control, on church/state issues, and on a host of others.

Unfortunately, that candidate is Bob Casey Jr.

Casey is NOT in the moderate wing of the Democratic Party, he is in the Liberman/McCain wing of the Republican Party. AND he cannot beat Santorum because he gives Democrats who support traditional Democratice values no reason to out of bed election day. ALL pertinent polls support this -- Zogby and Quinnipiac to name just two. Why, on the Quinnipiac poll alone, one-thrid of Casey's support evaporates when voters are told that he supports overturning Roe -- and THAT'S only on one issue.

It's time for Democrats to start supporting candidates because the candidate supports core values -- not because they have name recognition and fund-raising potential. That formula led Schumer to select Casey. It is the same formula that has also led to over 40 years of losses for the Ds in PA full-term senate elections. Over 40 years since the Dems sent a full-term senator to the US Senate! Even Utah Dems have doen better than that. What's that old saw about doing the same thing over and ovr and expecting a different result?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Tom Ford. Pennachio in the primary; if he loses, Casey in the general, if it doesn't rain.

Seriously, I walk the street lists getting nomination petition signatures, lit drop, do GOTV name checks and phone calls, send checks, go to meetings, and otherwise do all I can to be a good grassroot, and I know I can't work up a head of steam to persuade people to vote for Casey. I'd work all year for Barbara Hafer or Joe Hoeffel.

Not to mention that I worry Casey'll be a terrible campaigner. He's very low key.