Sunday, February 19, 2006

Swann Song

Former Pittsburgh Steeler and NFL Hall of Famer, Lynn Swann, is running for Governor. Just last week, he was "crowned" as the Republican nominee for Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported the expected event, Swann is endorsed by GOP leaders. His celebrity coronation by the Republican party was a breeze, but the wind seems to be picking up. With any luck, it'll be a storm brewing.

The Philadelphia Inquirer has now reported that Swann sat out on most election days, noting that "[d]espite once saying that the right to vote should never be taken for granted, Swann missed 20 of the state's 36 elections in the last 18 years - including 13 of his party's primaries, records show." As if that weren't bad enough, George Stephanopolous interviewed Swann on "This Week" on ABC News. Swann was so unprepared that it was truly embarrassing to watch him "fumble" (I had to get one football analogy in) his answers to various issues raised during the interview. George Stephanopoulos actually had to correct Swann on the issue of abortion:



Stephanopoulos: So if you were governor and the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, would you try to pass a law banning abortions in the state of Pennsylvania?

Swann: Well, if the Supreme Court overturned it, then they've basically overturned it. They've basically said that, you know, you can't have an abortion.

Stephanopoulos: No, no. They would send it to the states and it would be up to each state to decide.

Swann: Well, if they sent it to the states to decide, then I would sign legislation from the legislature making abortions illegal.

Stephanopoulos: No exceptions?

Swann: No, there would be exceptions.

Stephanopoulos: For?

Swann: In terms of the health of the mother, rape, incest.

Stephanopoulos: Many people who describe themselves as pro-life are opponents of stem cell research. Are you?

Swann: I am not an expert on stem cell research at this particular time. I'd rely on the science and medical community to give me some input in terms of where we should go.

Stephanopoulos: Well, what you say there should be generally?

Swann: I've talked to doctors who say you can do great stem cell research without getting involved, heavily, in embryonic stem cell research. And there are people on the other side, who believe that the only viable stem cell research is embryonic stem cell research.

Stephanopoulos: What do you believe?

Swann: Well, I don't, it's no a matter of what I believe. It's a matter of getting the information and making an informed decision. You know, in our scientific community, why are they opposing each other? I mean if both are valid.

Stephanopoulos: If doctors believed it could be valuable, would you be for it?

Swann: Well, I'd have to give it more consideration.

Stephanopoulos: But right now you're against it?

Swann: I want to give it more consideration.

Stephanopoulos: But where do stand right now?

Swann: I'm not standing anywhere. What I want to do is get the information from the scientific community.

Ouch.

My husband & I have had a running battle on the impact of Swann in the gubernatorial race. It is certainly true that outside of Pittsburgh and Philly,Pennsylvania is very conservative (with the state being home to one of the highest proportion of KKK-type groups in the country). My husband believes that conservative whites will not vote for a black man, even a Republican one, even if he's a former football star. He also thinks that the Philly vs. Pittsburgh rivalry will mitigate against the black vote in Philly going for Swann. He points to the fact that most Philadelphians rooted for the Seahawks in the Super Bowl over the Steelers, because they can't stand Pittsburgh.

I've taken the contrarian position, arguing that celebrity status trumps race and Republicans tend to vote party-line (that's why I call them the Stepford Party), so they'll vote for him anyway. He could also garner a fair share of the black vote, who would support a sports hero (even if he's from Pittsburgh), so that could put him over the edge. However, after watching his performance on Stephanopoulos' Show, I'm less sure of my opinion. It was a debacle. He certainly has a long way to go and based upon that interview, I'm not sure he can get there in time. Although I have to admit that I'd have said that about George Bush and look where he is now.

I had to post this as my way of getting in the last word on the subject. We've even talked about putting a wager on the race. However, this is one bet I really want to lose.

This blog, Omphaloskepsis, agrees with my husband's view. See also: Lynn Swann Struggles with his Talking Points at Young Philly Politics.

No comments: