Saturday, November 17, 2007

Definitely Diamonds & Pearls


Do you prefer diamonds or pearls?

I want both.

I must confess that I haven't watched (endured) any of the Presidential debates to date. I have read about the issues (silly and otherwise) that were addressed and have watched a few video clips on some of the topics that were covered. The format for the debates certainly isn't likely to elicit much more than an occasional sound bite. The other part of it is, living in Pennsylvania, I know my primary vote won't count. So I hate to get too invested in it all, only to have my hopes dashed.

However, when I saw the headlines about "Diamonds or Pearls" after the last debate, I had to find out what happened. As noted in Behind Clinton’s Diamonds and Pearls:

At last night’s Democratic presidential debate, the candidates faced questions on Pakistan, trade policy, and merit pay for teachers. . . . [A]t the close of the debate, Senator Hillary Clinton was asked what sort of jewelry she liked?

“Do you prefer diamonds or pearls?” Maria Luisa Parra-Sandoval, one of several audience members who posed questions, asked her.

I want both,” Mrs. Clinton replied to laughter.

After the laughter came the clamor -- charges of sexism, of favoritism and other assorted stupid nonsense. As the article noted:

Now Ms. Parra-Sandoval is being accused, by everyone from bloggers to fellow students, of asking an airheaded, sexist question. On her MySpace page and in a phone interview, she protested that she tried to ask several substantive questions but that CNN would only let her participate through a silly one.

See also, Diamonds And Pearls Are A Girl's Best Friend (But Maybe Not Her Question Of Choice). Of course, the words of waitress Anita Esterday from last week's brouhaha were soon forgotten -- the press needs to get a perspective on what really matters. See Iowa Waitress Speaks Out: I Didn't Get Tip From Clinton, Media Has Misplaced Priorities.

Can't we be at a lighthearted anymore? Is everything (except the important issues of the day) the subject of scrutiny ad nauseum, ad infinitum??

Having said all that, I have to add that Hillary's answer was right on. This was not waffling on her part. That was the only correct response.

Anyone who knows me, knows that my one true love (after my family, of course) is jewelry. It's what I'm known for. My legal career is just a sideline in comparison. Jewelry by Judi could be the name of my business in my next career. It probably would not be an exaggeration to say that I have more jewelry than some jewelry stores. I've included a few of my favorite diamonds and pearls (including my Tahitian black pearls, of course) in the photo above, to give a sampling.
Although Prince is not my favorite musician, I thought it only appropriate to include his "Diamonds and Pearls"

No comments: