Saturday, November 03, 2007

Ms. Sportsmanship



So soccer season has ended.

I must confess that I'm not much of a soccer mom, since I don't even know the basics of the game. I've attended a few games and cheered when it seemed as though I should. On the other hand, my athletic husband (who's a major sports fan) more than makes up for my lack of sports savvy. He's the unofficial team cheerleader.

The season was special in many ways. The girls Friends Select Soccer team was able to field a Varsity Soccer team after a several year hiatus. See They're Back. They were featured in the Inquirer, see United They Play, about their new coach and team building efforts. In the end, although they didn't have a winning season, they did win the Friends School League Junior Varsity tournament in mid-October at the George School.

And, for me at least, the best part of all happened last Thursday, when Friends Select held its Fall Athletic Sports Assembly. My daughter received the Varsity Girls Soccer Sportsmanship Award. I don't have to be a sports fan to know that's the ultimate achievement.

(Picture of award with photo of soccer team senior class members)

~ ~ ~ ~
I think sportsmanship is knowing that it is a game, that we are only as a good as our opponents, and whether you win or lose, to always give 100 percent.

- Sue Wicks

No comments: