Sunday, July 13, 2008

iM Feeling It

The good news is that I didn't have to stand in line to find out that I couldn't activate my new iPhone and spend a frustrating day trying to resolve the overload issues that plagued the new iPhones. See iPhone Users Plagued by Software Problems.

The bad news is that I'm feeling the pressure. Now, I realize that I don't fit the profile of a techie. After all, I'm a 50 plus female -- who's an attorney, no less. In addition to the stereotypical technology aversion of older women, lawyers are notorious for being tech adverse (I think it comes from the leftover desire to have a secretary take care of all that paperwork and administrative stuff).

However, as I mentioned before, I'm a gadget freak and tech nut from way back. The burden of that is that everyone expects me to be one of the first to know about the newest technology or gadget -- and to be one of the first to own one too. And, I have to admit, I'm usually happy to oblige.

I have already been getting calls and emails asking if I have my new iPhone, so I'm feeling the pressure to maintain my rep. See iGeek.

I've been following the hoopla over the new and improved iPhone and have read the latest reviews on the new toy. See, e.g., Gizmodo and Walt Mossberg's Personal Technology. The new iPhone is faster, clearer and comes in colors. But is it really worth it? The only thing that saves me, occasionally, is the fact that as much as I love the newest tech toy on the block, I'm also cheap. The joke in our office is that there are two kinds of people: those who love to shop at Chestnut Hill Cheese Shop (retail plus) and those who go to Costco or BJs (bargain hunter). I'm the queen of the bargain sales.

From what I've read, the new software is where it's really at, Forget 3G, It's Code That Counts and The iPhone and Its Killer App. And I already managed to download it yesterday afternoon (contributing to access problems for the new phones), along with a dozen or so new applications (all the freebies, of course).

Playing with the new applications will hopefully keep me satisfied, at least for a while. So, for now I'm holding off.

No comments: