Friday, February 22, 2008

I Know a Republican

During my last year of law school and the summer after I graduated, I worked in the District Attorney's Office. After that, I clerked on the Third Circuit Court of Appeals for a Judge who was a Nixon Appointee. Then, I spend the next five years working for a large, white shoe, conservative (Republican) law firm.

Based upon my resume, one who think (as many who don't know me well do) that I am rather conservative in my political beliefs. Despite all that, I was then -- and now -- an anti-death penalty, flaming liberal, Democrat. And although I disagreed (vehemently) with the politics of many of the people I met in those various jobs, I did like a good number of the people that I met there. Some (including the Judge) are still among the people that I still count as friends.

So, what's my point? It's the political equivalent to you can't judge a book by its cover.

That anyone could consider associations like this worth talking about, never mind wasting an article on, is the height of ridiculous. Such as this piece on the Politico, which caption says it all, Obama once visited '60s radicals. The article scandalously notes:

In 1995, State Senator Alice Palmer introduced her chosen successor, Barack Obama, to a few of the district’s influential liberals at the home of two well known figures on the local left: William Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn.

While Ayers and Dohrn may be thought of in Hyde Park as local activists, they’re better known nationally as two of the most notorious — and unrepentant — figures from the violent fringe of the 1960s anti-war movement.
If I could list all of the deadly events that I've attended over the years, as a favor for one friend or another, in support of people I didn't like. Trust me, attendance doesn't turn you into a convert. Truth be told, it only serves to confirm that the view put forth is not for you.

All I can say is: Wow. Wow. Wow.

So Obama was once at an event that Ayers and Dohrn hosted and now he's one of them? If only.

No comments: