Monday, October 23, 2006

A New Course



Stay the Course No More. . .

In The optimist-in-chief as political albatross, Dick Polman of American Debate asks incredulously:

When host George Stephanopoulos referred to the phrase “stay the course,” during their discussion about Iraq, Bush sought to correct him: “We’ve never been ‘stay the course,’ George.”

Did he really say “never?” I have to confess that I had a problem with Bush’s remark, probably because I am not suffering from amnesia. I suppose that in the Orwellian world of 1984 - where all past inconvenient remarks were automatically deemed inoperative and stuffed down a “memory hole,” to be “whirled away on a warm current of air to the enormous furnaces which were hidden somewhere” – anything spoken by the leader would be automatically welcomed as credible. The problem in America is, we still have memories, and here’s just a sampling of what those memories yield . . .

Polman then listed a number of instances where Bush uttered "Stay the Course."

I always loved the book "1984," but I never in my wildest dreams thought that I'd be living it.

(Video via Suburban Guerrilla)

No comments: