Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Make Room for Daddy



Danny Thomas
Born this day in 1912

Danny Thomas appeared in "Make Room for Daddy," later known as "The Danny Thomas Show," from 1953 to 1964, playing a nightclub comedian, which he was for much of his almost 60-year career. He was also a founder and benefactor of the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, which seeks cures for children's cancer and other catastrophic diseases.

The Danny Thomas Show spanned my childhood and was a famous Lebanese role model (along with Uncle Tonoose). Although Scranton did have a fairly sizable Lebanese population, the section of the city in which I lived was mostly Italian, German & Irish. My Catholic grade school was Lithuanian. Growing up in Scranton, I can remember telling people that I was Lebanese and receiving a puzzled look. So I would reply, "you know, like Danny Thomas," and a smile of recognition would always appear.

No comments: