Friday, May 05, 2006

The Way


Last night was a rare event for me. I attended the Womens Way Annual Dinner.

Of course, I go to the dinner every year, so that's not the unusual part. However, I went to an event the night before to hear Helen Thomas (and had a great dinner afterward). So that means two nights out in a row! If it wasn't the Womens Way dinner, I would have skipped it for sure.

Womens Way is truly a tremendous organization, raising money and helping the fight for women's equality and rights through advocacy and education. I have to say that I truly admire the women who are involved in that organization. The are all dedicated, passionate women who are intensely involved in this community effort. Most are also involved in other similar worthy causes, along with busy professional careers and families. I don't know how they do it -- but they have my admiration and support.

This year I brought my daughter, who just turned 16, to the dinner for the first time. I wanted her to begin to experience the value of community service and to appreciate the efforts of women supporting women. What better place to start than with Womens Way? These are women to emulate and look to as role models. Her school is involved in community service, but I want her to understand that it's something that should be part of one's life, not just another school "project."

One of last night's honorees, Beth Stroud, is the local minister who was defrocked by the United Methodist Church because she was gay. Her attorney during the proceeding is a friend of mine and I followed her case, see Woman of God. I'm glad she was recognized.

No comments: