Monday, August 04, 2008

The Lists of Seven

I was recently tagged by one of my favorite bloggers, QuakerDave of The Quaker Agitator. He was supposed to be on vacation at the shore, but I guess he thought tag was like the game, so it was OK to play.

The tagging rules are:

1. List these rules on your blog. (Okay, done.)

2. Share seven facts about yourself on your blog. (Okay.)

3. Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.

So here goes:

Facts about me:

1. Judi's Jewelry. If I said anything about me that would give away my real identity, it would be that I am known for my jewelry collection. Friends have been known to borrow gems from my collection when they need that special piece for an important event. I collect mostly antique and artisan pieces, but I must confess that I have a little bit of everything. Pearls are a favorite, but diamonds will do.

2. Life is a Beach. Like QuakerDave, I too am a water lover. I love the ocean, even if it's just to wander the beach, listening to the ocean waves. In my younger days, I was also a sun goddess, spending hours on the beach soaking up the sun. With my Italian/Lebanese ethic heritage, I don't need much sun to add to my pigmentation. By the end of summer, I'm sure some people wondered what race I was. Of course, those days are sadly gone, with the concern for the bad effects of the sun's rays, but I still enjoy lying on the beach (with sunscreen), book in hand, with my headphones playing the best Motown, Soul and Folk music.

3. Books. One of my first jobs was as a Library aide. I was sure that I would be a Librarian when I grew up and would write novels in my spare time. Speaking of collections, I always had an enormous collection of books. In fact, I had my own little lending library, with a card catalog, and my handmade checkout cards (including due dates). I'm not sure if I ever managed to collect fines for late returns, but I kinda doubt it.

4. Dogged. I think the best thing about my lawyering skills is not only that I will represent my clients to the best of my ability, but that I will hang in there until no one else is left standing. I'm known for wearing down the opposition until they say "uncle." I've also been called a pit bull, intimidating, aggressive, and I'm certain a few opposing lawyers have called me a bitch.

On the other hand, there are other lawyers who think I'm reasonable, nice and easy to get along with. I also am very different in my personal life, preferring not to argue at all. I think the difference is that it's easier to stand up for some else's rights than my own.

5. Pets. Our family has a cat, Scrunchy, and a dog, Ginger. Both are due to my daughter's whining, moaning and groaning for a pet. I've never had a pet growing up and was never fond of animals. If you ever asked me if I'd have a pet, I would have emphatically responded NEVER. Ginger and Scrunchy have somehow managed to become part of the family, but I'm still not sure how it happened.

6. Gadgets. I've mentioned before that I'm pretty techie and that I love gadgets. Gotta have them. I love reading about, then lusting for the newest, latest gadget out there. Sometimes my cheap side wrestles with my gadget jones, but eventually the gotta have the gadget wins out. It's usually just a matter of time before I come up with an excuse to justify the purchase.

7. Thrift Shop Maven. In contrast to the gadget geek side of me, I also love scouring garage sales and consignment shops. I hardly own any clothes that I bought retail (other than undies) and the same can be said for most of the furniture in my house (except for those few great antique finds). For me, the search for the perfect item is part of the pleasure of finding and getting that treasure.

Seven tagged blogs.

For my seven blogs, I decided to pick seven Philly (or so) favorites. Other than The Quaker Agitator, of course. They are:

1. Will Bunch of Attytood, from the Philly Daily News. I've been reading him from day 1, so I can see why he just received Best Blog Award from Philadelphia Magazine's 2008 Best of Philly.

2. Shaun Mullen of KIKO'S HOUSE, a refugee from Philly Daily News. He provides insightful essays on various topics, as well as Quotes from Around Yon Blogosphere, Beautiful Photograph Du Jour, and Cartoon Du Jour.

3. Steve Gimbel of Philosophers' Playground, a philosophy professor and comedian. Or is the term funny philosopher redundant?

4. Ray of Phillybits who combines politics and photography, and does both well.

5. Susie Madrak of Suburban Guerrilla, who has the best survey of the necessary news of anyone.

6. Wayne Bennett of The Field Negro, a Philly lawyer who provides the political view, with grace and wit, from the black perspective. Oh hell, he's good period, whatever perspective.

7. Dick Polman of American Debate, who's the best political writer in Philly and elsewhere.

No comments: