Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Whirlwind Tour


We arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday afternoon, after a delayed trip down (our plane had to return to the gate before take-off when a mechanical problem was found) and since then, we have had a whirlwind tour of South Florida, from Miami to Delray Beach.

Our Spring Break visit has a purpose this year (besides sun and fun) -- our daughter is looking at colleges here. Rather than doing a big trip around the world last year before applying to colleges, we decided to let her apply where ever she wanted and then visit the schools once she was accepted and decided where she was interested. Over the process, she came to the realization that a big school was probably not for her, despite her earlier visions of going to a large college. So that made things a little bit easier. She wants to come to Florida because of the warm weather and the fact that we have family here, so she won't feel like a complete stranger in a strange land.

In between, we've been visiting with family. My cousin, the ex-nun, also happened to be in Miami visiting her brother, so we met her for lunch on Thursday on Lincoln Highway in South Beach for lunch after a college visit in Miami (pictured above). Yesterday we toured a college in Boca, had lunch with my parents who live near Boca and then spent the rest of the day wandering around Delray Beach with my brother, including an arts festival that happens to be there this week-end.

In fact, things have been so busy that I didn't even call my office -- a first for me (of course, a few clients did manage to track me down via my cell and I did check my email). And this is the first time I've had a chance to catch up on all the news and stuff to see everything I missed.

2 comments:

Gort said...

Up here in NEPA the temp has soared into the 30's. Enjoy your time in the sun and turn off the cell phone/email.

JudiPhilly said...

Arrived home last night to drizzle & 50 degrees. Sigh.

Enjoyed the weather & time with my family, but I missed the relax part.

Now that I'm back, I need a vacation!!